What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is “a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.”
Why is it important to incorporate Mindfulness into our day?
- Mindfulness improves attention, memory processing and decision making
- Mindfulness increases our self-awareness, social awareness and self-confidence
- Mindfulness increases our ability to self-regulate our emotions
- Mindfulness improves our empathy and our understanding of other people’s feelings and thoughts
Here is a quick video on ‘Why Mindfulness is a Superpower!’ – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6T02g5hnT4
Why should my child engage in Mindfulness?
Mindfulness has been shown to reduce the severity of depression, anxiety and ADHD in children. It also builds resilience by giving children the skills to help them cope better with stress.
How do I incorporate Mindfulness into my child’s day?
Here are a few of my favourite YouTube videos. These could be a great start in helping you incorporate Mindfulness into your child’s life:
- Breath Meditation for Kids
- The Magnificent Garden
- Mindfulness Meditation for Children
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: A guided meditation for kids
Also check out this great book from Building Blocks Therapy!
See each letter of the alphabet paired with a word that teaches young children important mindfulness topics, like compassion, breathing, empathy, gratitude, and kindness.
Pairing simplified mindfulness principles with each letter of the alphabet, ABC Mindful Me features colourful illustrations of children and animals, as well as playful rhymes to explain each concept to toddlers (and their parents!).
These key concepts will help to grow young readers’ concentration, listening skills, and ability to manage emotions, stress, and anxiety. Buy online or in our clinic now!
Mindfulness Groups at Building Blocks Therapy
During the January 2019 school holidays, Building Blocks Therapy will be running a mindfulness group called “Let’s Get Mindful With The Senses”. This will run for 6 sessions and we will focus on:
- Learning to practice Mindfulness using the senses
- Making new friends
- Letting go of any self-doubt and gaining confidence
- Helping with anxiety and letting go of worries
- Learning to be grateful for all that we have
If you are interested in enrolling your child into this group, please call Building Blocks Therapy on (03) 9404 0338.